She studied law, and has worked for university administrations, UNESCO and libraries in Cachan (Val-de-Marne). After being discovered by the poet Léopold Congo-Mbemba, she published her first collection of poetry in 2000. Her poems have been translated into several languages, including Romanian and Icelandic.
- L'Aube sous les dunes, 2000
- L'Oracle des fellahs, 2001
- Le Bleu infini, 2009
- À Marrakech, derrière la Koutoubia ,2012
- Stefansson, Thor, ed. (2014). Mennska i myrkrinu (Human in the Dark), an anthology of Arabic poetry translated into Icelandic by Thor Stefansson. Reykjavik: ODDUR. ISBN 9789979992585.
- Angibaud, Patrice. "Jamila Abitar : "Le bleu infini"". Revue Texture. Retrieved 8 December 2018.