Jafri Malin Abdullah (born 5 December 1962) is a Malaysian neuroscientist.
Education and career[edit | edit source]
Jafri Malin was born in Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia on 5 December 1962. During childhood age, he spent his time in various states in Malaysia including Wilayah Persekutuan, Pulau Pinang, Sarawak, Kedah and Kelantan. He went to Sekolah Menengah Sains Tun Syed Sheh Shahabudin or previously known as Sekolah Menengah Sains Penang from 1976 to 1977; Sekolah Menengah Sains Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra from 1978 to 1979; and Leederville Technical College, Perth Western Australia from 1980 to 1981. In 1986, he graduated as a pioneering batch with a MD from the School of Medical Sciences Universiti Sains Malaysia which was a first batch. After he graduated, Jafri worked as a doctor in Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia.
In 1994 he was awarded the Diploma of Certification of Specialization in Neurosurgery from the University of Ghent, Belgium and a year later (1995) he received his Ph.D.(Magna Cum Laude) from the same university. He returned to Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia to set up neuroscience unit in 1997.
In 2001, he became a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, three years later, a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and in 2008, he was elected as a Fellow of the European Stroke Society. Within Malaysian shores,he was granted the Fellowship of the Academy of Sciences, Malaysia in 2009. Currently, he is a Professor of Neurosciences, Head the Department of Neurosciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia and the Director of Center for Neuroscience Services & Research, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Research fellowships and awards[edit | edit source]
His research fellowships from Sept 1994 till Dec 1994 were a research Fellow in Neurophysiology,Dept of Neurology, University Hospital Ghent, Belgium under the supervision of Prof Jacques De Reuk and thereafter from Dec 1994 till May 1995 as the Elekta Research Fellow in Stereotactic,Functional Neurosurgery in the Department of Neurosurgery, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden under the supervision of Prof Bjorn Meyerson in functional neurosurgery.
His professional experiences were as follows:1988-1995 Resident in Neurosurgery and PhD student, University of Ghent, Belgium. From 1997-2004 Associate Professor and Head of Neuroscience Unit, School of Medical Sciences Universiti Sains Malaysia.He was awarded the prestigious National Malaysian Young Scientist Award from The Ministry of Science and Technology Malaysia on the 16 March 2000. In 2001 and 2003, he received twice the prestigious Anugerah Sanggar Sanjung in the field of scientific research. In 2004, he was awarded as a fellowship without examination by Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RSCE).
For his active research in the field of translational and transdiciplinary neurosurgical neurosciences, he was awarded the Top Research Scientists Malaysia (TRSM) by Akademi Sains Malaysia on 17 December 2013.
Current national and international posts[edit | edit source]
He is a Professor of Neurosciences, Founder Director of P3NEURO (Center for Neurosciences Services and Research) and Head of the Department of Neurosciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), School of Medical Sciences. In addition, he initiated several post-graduate training programs such as Master Surgery (Neurosurgery), Advances Master of Medicine (Neurology),Msc (Neuroscience), PhD (Neuroscience) and Integrated Neuroscience Programme.
Internationally, he has several positions and responsibilities, such as a committee member of the Neuroscience Program Network, International Brain Research Organization and President of the Malaysian chapter of the Society for Neuroscience. He is the editorial board member of Surgical neurology international, Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, Journal of Clinical Neurosciences, Peer J and many others.
Scientific focus[edit | edit source]
Currently, his work has been focused on functional neurophysiological monitoring for neurointensive care, microstimulation for deep brain stimulation for movement disorders, intraoperative monitoring, and epilepsy surgery. There is a minor component of his research in neurooncology and stem cells. In 2008 and 2009, the magnetoencephalography, electroencephalography and event-related potential lab was built to encourage research in the field of epilepsy and cognitive neurosciences in USM.
Prof Jafri has published more than 120 publications in national and international peer-reviewed journals, and he has contributed many chapters in several books.           He supports the Decade of the Mind which has begun in 2010 and ends by the year 2020 by improving fundamental research in the fields of neurochemistry, neurophysics, artificial neural network, cognitive neuroscience, neuroimaging and neuropsychology by establishing groups of young neuroscientists in Universiti Sains Malaysia
National societies and associations[edit | edit source]
He is a member of several Malaysian and international bodies and organizations, such as Society for Neurosciences (SFN), Malaysian Neuroscience Society, and American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
References[edit | edit source]
- Abdullah JM, Hussin AM, Tharakan J, Abdullah MR, Saad R, Kamari Z, Hussin ZA, Razak DA. National response to neurological diseases in Malaysia: planning for the future. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2006 Jul;37(4):798-805.
- Bhaskar S, Abdullah JM. Platelet alloantigen polymorphism and migraine headaches. Neurosciences (Riyadh). 2013 Apr;18(2):185-6.
- Rockstad-Rex R, Magistretti PJ. An introduction to the International Brain Research Organization: IBRO's beginnings. Neurology. 2012 Oct 2;79(14):1496-8.
- Tan EH, Yusoff AA, Abdullah JM, Razak SA. Generalized epilepsy with febrile seizure plus (GEFS+) spectrum: Novel de novo mutation of SCN1A detected in a Malaysian patient. J Pediatr Neurosci. 2012 May;7(2):123-5.
- Mohamed Y, Alias NN, Shuaib IL, Tharakan J, Abdullah J, Munawir AH, Naing NN. Referral of epileptic patients in North East Coast of West Malaysia an area with poor MRI coverage: an analysis. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2006 Nov;37(6):1199-208.
- Supeno NE, Pati S, Hadi RA, Ghani AR, Mustafa Z, Abdullah JM, Idris FM, Han X, Jaafar H. IGF-1 acts as controlling switch for long-term proliferation and maintenance of EGF/FGF-responsive striatal neural stem cells. Int J Med Sci. 2013;10(5):522-31.
- Abdullah JM, Rafiqul Islam M.Telemetric EEG and the rat: a guide for neuroscientists.Malays J Med Sci. 2012 Oct;19(4):1-5.
- Kandasamy R, Tharakan J, Idris Z, Abdullah JM.Intracranial bleeding following induction of anesthesia in a patient undergoing elective surgery for refractory epilepsy. Surg Neurol Int. 2013 Sep 26;4:124
- Jafri Malin Abdullah, (2005) Neurosciences in University Sains Malaysia: the Way to Go Forward in Malaysia with Vision 2020. Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences, 12 (2). pp. 1-3. ISSN 1394195X
- Idris B, Sayuti S, Abdullah JM. History of neurosciences at the School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia. J Clin Neurosci. 2007 Feb;14(2):148-52.
- Zulkifli MM, Ibrahim R, Ali AM, Aini I, Jaafar H, Hilda SS, Alitheen NB, Abdullah JM. Newcastle diseases virus strain V4UPM displayed oncolytic ability against experimental human malignant glioma. Neurol Res. 2009 Feb;31(1):3-10
- Ahmad, T. J. Abdullah, F. Zakaria, F. Mustapha, & AMH Zabidi-Hussin, “Tracking The Storm In The Brain” Journal of Quantitative Methods, Vol 2. No. 2, Dec 2006, pp.1-9
- Bhaskar S, Abdullah JM, Yusoff NM, Prasad A. Gene frequencies of human platelet alloantigens in Kelantan, Malaysia. Singapore Med J. 2007 Jun;48(6):598-9
- Jafri Malin Abdullah. Penyakit Saraf Umum. Penerbit USM. ISBN 978-983-861-547-1
- Jafri Malin Abdullah. Memahami Barah Otak. Penerbit USM. ISBN 978-983-861-565-5
- Jafri Malin Abdullah. Penyelidikan Sains Asas, Gunaan dan Klinikal Neurosains. Penerbit USM. ISBN 983-3391-51-6
- Jafri Malin Abdullah. Summary of Readings in Neurosurgery : BRAIN. Penerbit USM. ISBN 978-983-861-601-0
- Jafri Malin Abdullah. Summary of Readings in Neurosurgery : SPINE. Penerbit USM. ISBN 978-983-861-596-9
- L.Calliauw and J.Caemaert. Neurosurgeri untuk Pengetahuan Umum. Penerbit USM. ISBN 983-3391-53-2
- Bhaskar S, Abdullah JM, Ghazali MM. Coexistence of CACNA1A, ATP1A2, and KCNN3 gene mutation in migraine patients with human platelet polymorphism. Neurosciences (Riyadh). 2008 Oct;13(4):356-8.
- Harizal SN, Mansor SM, Hasnan J, Tharakan JK, Abdullah J. Acute toxicity study of the standardized methanolic extract of Mitragyna speciosa Korth in rodent. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010 Sep 15;131(2):404-9.
- Nasir MN, Abdullah J, Habsah M, Ghani RI, Rammes G. Inhibitory effect of asiatic acid on acetylcholinesterase, excitatory post synaptic potential and locomotor activity. Phytomedicine. 2012 Feb 15;19(3-4):311-6.
- Abdullah MZ, Awang MS, Tan YC, Abdullah JM. A Preliminary Study of Using Active Vision Guided Robotic Arm for Bone Drilling in a Developing Country. J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2013
- Zhang J, Abdullah JM. The role of GluA1 in central nervous system disorders. Rev Neurosci. 2013;24(5):499-505.
- Ismail S, Haris K, Abdul Ghani AR, Abdullah JM, Johan MF, Mohamed Yusoff AA. Enhanced induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis via the mitochondrial membrane potential disruption in human U87 malignant glioma cells by aloe emodin. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2013 Sep;15(9):1003-12
- Muthuraju S, Pati S, Rafiqul M, Abdullah JM, Jaafar H. Effect of normabaric hyperoxia treatment on neuronal damage following fluid percussion injury in the striatum of mice: a morphological approach. J Biosci. 2013 Mar;38(1):93-103.
- Abdullah JM, Zhang J. The GABA A receptor subunits heterologously expressed in Xenopus oocytes. Mini Rev Med Chem. 2013 Apr 1;13(5):744-8. Review.
- Abdullah JM. Interesting asian plants: their compounds and effects on electrophysiology and behaviour. Malays J Med Sci. 2011 Oct;18(4):1-4.
- Sofian ZM, Abdullah JM, Rahim AA, Shafee SS, Mustafa Z, Razak SA. Cytotoxicity evaluation of vancomycin and its complex with beta-cyclodextrin on human glial cell line.Pak J Pharm Sci. 2012 Oct;25(4):831-7.
- Abdullah JM. All the Vice Chancellor's Neuroscientists: Unity to Achieve Success in Solving Malaysia's Diseases via Upgrading Clinical Services and Neuroscience Research. Malays J Med Sci. 2013 May;20(3):1-5.